Monday, January 9, 2017

Titan Souls Review

Rage-quitters need not apply

Titan Souls is an incredibly simple game: a series of boss fights separated by a vacant overworld. The protagonist is only armed with a bow and a single arrow that must be retrieved after a missed shot. All battles are a matter of one-hit kills, for both the player character and the enemy.

Since boss fights are really all there is to the game, there's a decent number of them (19 in total) and most of them involve figuring out a specific trick to exposing the enemy's weakness and delivering the kill-shot. The game is unforgiving, probably the hardest game I've played in the past year, but when I managed to pull off the perfect shot, killing the titan and surviving the battle by the skin of my teeth there was definitely a smile on my face. However, there were some battles where I somehow killed the boss by accident; I'd fire off my arrow in the general direction of the boss and apparently hit the enemy's weak point before I had even determined where that vulnerable spot was. In other cases, I would die dozens upon dozens of time trying to land a shot in the narrowest of openings, often being pushed to the very limit of my patience. While I never quite reached the point of dropping the game altogether, on the second-to-last boss I did finally cave in and consult a guide rather than continue to bang my head against the wall.

Outside of these battles, there really isn't much to Titan Souls. The overworld that joins the various battle areas together is a decent-looking pixelated environment, but is completely devoid of any interesting features; there are no towns, NPCs, minor enemies, or puzzles, just fairly generic forests, ruins, caves, and tundras. However, the overworld does provide the player an opportunity to enjoy this game's absolutely beautiful music. The various battle themes are fittingly dramatic, and the music in the overworld is somber yet mysterious. What's all this somberness and mystery about, though? I have no idea since the game has absolutely no plot. For some reason the hero must find and kill all the titans, and that's all there is to it.

I found Titan Souls to be extremely challenging, but felt satisfied upon completing it. The game's brevity (about 4 hours) is definitely a positive as it keeps its single gameplay mechanic and extreme difficulty from getting old. For Titan Souls I really must reiterate: This game is incredibly hard. To put it in perspective, I died 278 times before reaching the end of the game. If you're someone who can find enjoyment in finally persevering after countless failures, Titan Souls will be a gratifying play-through. However, to anyone who's ever found themselves at the brink of throwing a controller in frustration, spare yourself the agony and skip this one.

Score: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Completion Time: 3 hours, 58 minutes (100% completion)

No comments:

Post a Comment